What is the Health & Care Academy?
The Health & Care Academy provides real-life ‘as it happens’ work placement opportunities for young people who are interested in developing a career in health and social care and exposes the wide range of careers available within the National Health Service. Students are given the chance to work alongside practitioners from a number of different healthcare professions.
The initiative is prestigious as it is recognised by Health Education England as being a model of good practice for developing a sustainable and highly skilled 21st Century health and social care workforce.
Selection for the Health & Care Academy is based around several connected factors.
- You must have a passion for providing compassionate care and a desire to discover more about what a career in health and social care has to offer.
- A determination to work and study hard is absolutely essential.
- You will need to have good attendance
- The ability to work well with others, stepping into a different department each week.
- Excellent organisational skills and time management is essential, as the placements will be in addition to any academic work that your school or college set you.
How do I apply to join the Health & Care Academy?
If you are studying in Year 12 or 13 at a school or college in North Devon and you wish to apply for a place on the Health & Care Academy you will be required to complete a 750 word letter of application and attend a rigorous 30 minute value based recruitment interview.
Finally, if you are successful in your interview, you will need to attend mandatory induction & manual handling training prior to starting your first placement.
Once on the Health & Care Academy where will I be placed?
Once you have gained a place on the Health & Care Academy you will spend time on a rotational placement for 10/12 weeks (one day a week) in some of the following departments: Radiology, Physiotherapy, Out-Patients, Fracture Clinic, Phlebotomy, Audiology, Podiatry, Theatres, District Nurses, Community Hospitals, Sterile Services, Research and Development, Surgical and Medical Wards, Pharmacy, Hospice and care homes .
Can I talk to somebody who may be able to give me more information about the Health & Care Academy?
Yes – please speak to your tutor/teacher and/or contact email@example.com for more information.