Staples Ward (Stroke Unit) is on level 5 of North Devon District Hospital. The telephone number is 01271 322577 and ask for Staples Ward (Stroke Unit)
The purpose of Staples Ward (Stroke Unit) is to ensure:
- All patients are assessed and managed by the specialist stroke team
- Patients have access to appropriate diagnostics
- Secondary prevention measures are commenced as appropriate
- Rehabilitation starts on day one of admission where appropriate.
- We aim to promote recovery through early mobilisation, i.e. getting out of bed and getting dressed as early as possible.
- Appropriate and timely discharge planning
Patients will probably need tests in order to understand the diagnosis and reduce the risk of a further Stroke. These may include a brain scan (MRI or CT scan), heart scan (echocardiogram), neck scan (carotid duplex) or blood tests.