The Early Supported Discharge teams are located in North Devon District Hospital and Bideford Hospital. Telephone numbers: 01271 311679 (Barnstaple) or 01237 420238 (Bideford). They consist of physiotherapists, occupational therapists, therapy support workers and speech and language therapists. The purpose of the Early Supported Discharge Team is:
- To enable appropriate stroke patients to return home sooner with specialist stroke therapy delivered at home for up to six weeks.
- Evidence of functional use aiding rehabilitation
- Returning to familiar environment
- This may be with equipment/care to support current needs whilst rehab continues
This may include rehabilitation for:
- Mobility e.g. transferring, walking.
- Communication and/or swallowing difficulties.
- Washing and dressing.
- Preparing meals /drinks.
- Accessing the community e.g. going to the shops, bus travel, socialising, attending exercise classes and returning to work.
- Improving use of your hand/arm.
- Supporting you to improve your lifestyle and reduce the risk of further strokes.
- Emotional support.
- Carer support/ teaching and education of carers
The ESD team help identify meaningful rehabilitation goals with each individual patient.