You can self-refer or be referred by a health professional e.g. GP, provided you fulfil the access criteria. The current access criteria are:
- People with medical conditions that put their feet at risk e.g. diabetes or vascular disease
- People with severe foot deformaties
- People with musculoskeletal or gait abnormalities (available to those in full time education)
- People with acute foot conditions that require short term care e.g. ingrown toe nails
- People over the state retirement age (65) with general chiropody conditions e.g. calluses or corns.
Forms for self-referral or healthcare referral can be downloaded here.
N.B. these forms are for use in the Northern locality only
Depending on your condition you may be offered a variety of treatments which will be discussed with you so that you can make an informed choice. Our team is able to:
- Perform nail surgery e.g. removal of ingrown toe nails
- Assess and provide orthoses (inserts for shoes etc) for musculoskeletal conditions
- Assess and manage wounds
- Neurological and vascular assessment for those at risk
- Footwear advice and assessment
- Assessment and management of diabetes related foot conditions