The Haematology Department comprises the following specialties: General Haematology, Haemostasis, Microscopy, Haemoglobinopathy and Blood Transfusion. It provides a full diagnostic and clinical service in all these areas.
- Diagnosis and treatment of malignant and non-malignant blood disorders.
- Microscopic examination for routine blood disorder diagnosis and parasitic infections e.g. malaria
- Haemoglobinopathy detection and identification.
- Coagulation screening and anticoagulant therapy monitoring.
- Thrombophilia and Haemophilia investigations.
- Selection and testing of blood and blood components for transfusion purposes for patients with conditions such as; anaemia, leukaemia or trauma.
- Routine ante-natal and post natal screening: blood grouping and antibody screening, Kleihauer testing.
- Diabetic monitoring.