When would I be referred to Haematology?

If a blood test carried out by your GP or whilst you are in hospital shows that you could have a haematological illness, you will be referred to a Consultant Haematologist for advice and treatment. Such disorders can be caused by problems with your bone marrow, and include different types of anaemia and leukaemia, or disorders of the blood’s clotting mechanisms for example haemophilia or thrombophilia.

Last updated: May 2, 2019