Mr Maciej Pawlak MD, PhD
Consultant Upper GI and Abdominal Wall Surgeon
Maciej Pawlak has specialist clinical interests in abdominal wall reconstruction and minimally invasive hernia surgery, and academic interests in medical research, the use of modern technologies in guideline implementation, as well as cooperation between surgeons on social media platforms and its potential influence on education.
He qualified from the Medical University of Gdańsk and finished General Surgery speciality training in Poland. He undertook a 2-year fellowship in Upper GI and complex abdominal wall surgery at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Scotland, as well as training in a number of world renowned centres of excellence including The Lichtenstein Amid Hernia Clinic at UCLA, Los Angeles, USA, The Department of Innovation and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocío, Seville, Spain, and The Hanse Chirurgie Clinic in Hamburg, Germany.
He is a member of a number of National and International societies, including:
- Board member of the European Hernia Society
- Member of the HerniaSurge Group, a collaboration to develop and implement International Guidelines for Treatment of groin hernia in adult patients
- Joint co-ordinator of EHS Incisional Hernia Guidelines
- British Hernia Society (BHS) member
- European Association for Endoscopic Surgery and other interventional techniques (EAES) member
Maciej has published extensively in the topics of hernias, Abdominal Wall Reconstruction and Upper GI Surgery. He obtained his PhD in Medicine from Medical University in Gdańsk, Poland investigating the forces acting on implant anchored to the anterior abdominal wall, along with a randomised controlled trial: Comparison of two different concepts of mesh and fixation technique in laparoscopic ventral hernia repair. He has given numerous invited lectures both nationally and internationally. He has also volunteered with Operation Hernia and HerniaHelp, taking part in surgical charity missions in Ghana and Haiti.
General areas of surgical expertise:
Benign Upper GI Surgery
Abdominal Wall Surgery
Specific Areas of Expertise:
- Hernia surgery – inguinal, femoral, lumbar, epigastric, umbilical, incisional, complex abdominal wall reconstruction
- Groin Pain Syndrome
- Chronic groin pain after hernia repair
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Gallstone disease including laparoscopic cholecystectomy and bile duct exploration
- Reflux disease
- Hiatus hernia
Lauren Williams 01271 370 284
- Dynamic inguinal ultrasound: a diagnostic tool for hernia surgeons – Pawlak M, Niebuhr H, Bury K.. Hernia. 2015:1-2. doi:10.1007/s10029-015-1356-7.
- The management of abdominal wall hernias – in search of consensus – Pawlak M, Bury K, Śmietański M. Videosurgery Miniinv 2015, doi: 10.5114/wiitm.2015.49512
- Comparison of two different concepts of mesh and fixation technique in laparoscopic ventral hernia repair: a randomized controlled trial. – Pawlak M, Hilgers R-D, Bury K, Lehmann A, Owczuk R, Śmietański M 2015 Surg Endosc. doi: 10.1007/s00464-015-4329-0
- Current trends in hernia surgery in NHS England. – Pawlak M., Tulloh B., de Beaux AC. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2019 Aug 16:1-3. doi: 10.1308/rcsann.2019.0118.
- Guidelines in hernia surgery – friend or foe. Pawlak M., East B., Gok H., de Beaux AC. International Journal of Abdominal Wall and Hernia Surgery, Vol. 2, No. 3, July-September 2019, pp. 75-77
- Comparison of percentage excess weight loss after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding – Andrzej Lehmann, Maciej Bobowicz, Paweł Lech, Michał Orłowski, Wiaczesław Siczewski, Maciej Pawlak, Dariusz Świetlik, Mieczysław Witzling, Michalik Maciej; Videosurgery Miniinv 2014; 9 (3): 351–356 DOI: 10.5114/wiitm.2014.44257
- Single-incision port-site herniation: meta-analysis vs. nationwide cohort study. – Bury K, Pawlak M, Śmietański M, Muysoms F; Hernia. 2015; doi: 10.1007/s10029-015-1401-6
- The New 3D Printed Left Atrial Appendage Closure with a Novel Holdfast Device: A Pre-Clinical Feasibility Animal Study M. Brzeziński, K. Bury, L. Dąbrowski, P. Holak, A. Sejda4, Pawlak, D. Jagielak, Z. Adamiak, J. Rogowski; PLoS ONE 2016 11(5); doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0154559
- Groin hernia diagnostics: dynamic inguinal ultrasound (DIUS) Henning Niebuhr, Anita König, Maciej Pawlak, Marco Sailer, Ferdinand Köckerling & Wolfgang Reinpold Langenbecks Arch Surg (2017) DOI 10.1007/s00423-017-1604-7
- International guidelines for groin hernia management, The HerniaSurge Group, Hernia (2018) Feb;22(1):1-165. doi: 10.1007/s10029-017-1668-x. Epub 2018 Jan 12
- Is sharing speaker’s slides from conference presentations on social media a breach of intellectual property or a delegate’s right? Depends who you ask, D. Light, M. Pawlak, A. de Beaux, R.R. Brady, International Journal of Surgery 58 (2018) 22–25, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2018.08.010