The community children’s nursing team provide a specialist community nursing service for children in the North Devon area. Each community children’s nurse covers a specific geographical area; however, they cross cover according to patient and service needs and priorities. The team works Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 17:00 but will also work flexibly around these times where possible to ensure the health needs of the child/young person are met.
What support is offered?
The community children’s nursing team work with and in partnership with other healthcare professionals and non-NHS agencies to provide care for sick children in the community. The aim of the team is to:
- Prevent hospital admissions.
- Reduce length of stay in hospital.
- Prevent referral to other services (unless needed).
Depending on the health needs of the child/young person other professionals and agencies might be involved in their care including:
- Hospital based children’s services
- Health visitors and school nurses
- Paediatric Continence Nurse Advisor
- Paediatric Diabetes Nurse
- Therapy staff e.g. physiotherapists or occupational therapists.
How do I access this service?
Children are referred by other healthcare professionals including GP’s, Consultants, Health Visitors and School Nurses. Your child will not be referred without your consent.
Community Children’s Nursing
The Ladywell Unit Level 0
North Devon District Hospital NHS Trust
Telephone: 01271 322771