There are many reasons why women may develop breast related problems and symptoms. Such problems are very common and most of these symptoms will have a harmless cause.
For every 10 women who are referred to the Breast Clinic only 1 will have a breast cancer; most will have a relatively harmless, non-cancerous problem.
The common breast symptoms that cause women to seek medical advice and to attend a breast clinic would be:
- A lump has been felt within the breast
- Breast discomfort or pain (mastalgia)
- Problems related to the nipple, such as:
- discharge of fluid
- a rash
- alteration in shape (retraction or inversion)
- Infection (mastitis) whilst breast feeding
- Infection in the breast for women who are not breast feeding
Common non-cancerous conditions that would cause a breast lump:
- Breast cyst