Getting Medicines Right
Please tell us about the medicines you are taking (or not taking), as this will help us to make sure you get the most benefit from them:
Please tell us about:
- All of the medicines you are currently taking (or not taking)
- Tell us if you forget or do not take any of your medicines
- Any other medicines that you take, such as those bought in a pharmacy or supermarket
- Tell us how you take or use your medicines, and whether you have any problems
- Tell us if you use anything to help you remember to take your medicines (e.g. ‘blister packs’ or ‘monitored dosage systems’)
When you come into hospital please bring:
- All of your medicines with you
- Your latest repeat prescription slip (if you have one)
- Any treatment cards or booklets you have been given with your medication (your anticoagulant / warfarin booklet, steroid card, lithium card etc)
When you are in hospital:
- Help us get a full and accurate medication history to ensure we get your medicines right during your stay
- Ask to see your ward pharmacist or technician if you would like to know more about your medicines
When you leave hospital:
- We will give you a supply of medication to take after your leave hospital, and will send an up to date list of your medicines to your doctor, to continue prescribing
- You will be given an up to date list of your prescribed medication to give to your community pharmacist; this will make sure your pharmacist is aware of any changes made to your medication during your hospital stay
- Ask your community pharmacist for a ‘medication use review’ if you want to know more about your medicines after you have left hospital
Questions you may wish to ask about your medicines:
- What is the medicine for?
- When and how should I take/use the medicine?
- How long should I take the medicine for?
- Are there any foods or drinks I should avoid while I’m taking the medicine?
- How will I know if it is working?
- What do I do if I miss a dose?
- What are the possible side effects?
- What should I do if I think I have side effects?
- Are there any medicines I need to stop taking?
- Who can I speak to if I need any further advice or help with my medicine/s?
For more information about your medicines, please see our ‘Information About Your Medicines’ patient information leaflet
Thank you for helping us to Get Your Medicines Right