Our children’s ward, Caroline Thorpe is located on level 2 of the Ladywell Unit. It includes a purpose-built children’s assessment unit (CAU) and high dependency unit (HDU), Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU), state-of-the-art equipment including a cardiac monitoring system, school, playroom, facilities for parents and a resource room for doctor training.
Visiting times for Caroline Thorpe Ward
Visiting patients during COVID-19
To reduce the risk to patients, staff and visitors, no visiting will be allowed at NDDH except for:
- If there are specific reasons of safety – Dementia or learning disability where anxiety would be increased significantly.
- Inpatients under the age of 18 years old – One parent/guardian only (both parents are permitted in the special care baby unit).
- Adult inpatients – one person per patient, from the same household or support bubble, once a day for a maximum of one hour between 3pm and 6pm. Requires prior agreement with ward staff.
- Admission areas (e.g. ED) may allow one person to accompany the patient to ensure the correct patient history etc is obtained.
- At outpatient and diagnostic appointments where a patient may need emotional support they can be accompanied by one person from the same household or support bubble.
- A patient receiving end-of-life care can receive more than one visitor from the same household or support bubble within a 24 hour period.
Do not visit if you or someone in your household has symptoms of Coronavirus.
- a new, persistent cough
- a high temperature (37.8 degrees centigrade or higher)
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
Alternatives to visiting
If the patient does not have their own device, we can facilitate a call to friends and family in place of a visit. Please speak with the nurse in charge who will be able to arrange this for you.
If you would like to send letters, drawings or cards to your loved one you can email them to email@example.com placing “PATIENT COMMUNICATION” in the subject line and adding the patient’s details to the email. Attachments will be printed and delivered to the patient.
We realise that these times can be distressing for patients and their loved ones, and we are sorry that we must restrict visits to hospital to protect patients and staff during the Coronavirus pandemic.
Thank you for your support and understanding
Correct at 2 July 2020
Evening meal 5pm-5.45pm
Caroline Thorpe Ward actively encourages visitors onto the ward to assist at mealtimes.
Caroline Thorpe Ward Manager/Sister
Ward phone number