Help with travel costs

Patients (and sometimes their escort) who are under the care of a consultant or who have been referred by their GP, dentist or optician may be entitled to help with travel, parking and toll costs. If you are eligible, the refund will be for the full costs when the cheapest suitable form of transport is used. Help is available to anyone who receives:
  • Income support
  • Income based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • A NHS Tax Credit exemption certificate
  • Universal Credit (not all claimants, check on
  • On a low income and is named on certificate HC2 or HC3 – to apply for a certificate, complete form HC1.
You may be eligible if you are receiving Personal Independence Payments, a small private pension or if you are a student or carer with savings under £16,000. To apply, ask for form HC1 at any hospital, job centre, dentist or opticians.
Refunds of the costs for those eligible can be reclaimed at the time if you can show proof of entitlement and receipts/tickets, or by post up to three months after your journey using form HC5 (T). You can collect forms HC1 and HC5 (T) at hospital general offices.

Last updated: October 2, 2017