Covid-19 Test: Specimen Collection Requirements
The current diagnostic sample set is:
An upper respiratory tract sample either:
- a single swab used for throat then nose in either a: (i) yellow capped Roche PCR medium or (ii) a red capped COVIDSafe Virus Inactivation medium – see picture below. (NOTE: blue or green capped viral tubes must not be used and will be rejected by the laboratory)
A lower respiratory tract specimen
- is encouraged to maximise the chances of detecting any pathogens. However, avoid induction of sputum.
For guidance on Covid-19 swab specimen collection, click here.
DO NOT use point of care flu test in ED.
Additional samples will be required depending on other possible diagnoses.
It is important to:
- Label the specimens with patient’s name and an identifier number and sample type.
- Complete the Covid-19 RNA request form indicating ‘possible coronavirus’ in clinical details. Include travel / contact history.
- Double bag specimens – place specimen in bag, place this bag and form in second bag.