What we do

The community

Integrated health and social care community services

Our teams of integrated health and social care community professionals across northern Devon work to rehabilitate patients, avoid admissions, and promote health, wellbeing and independence. The multidisciplinary teams include community nurses, social workers, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, community matrons and the voluntary sector.

The teams deliver care to around 8,850 people at any one time, often with very complex needs, providing support and treatment to enable them to live independently in their own homes.

The teams provide a rapid response service. If a GP is worried about a patient whose health is deteriorating, they can call the community rapid response team who will arrive at the person’s home within two hours. We assess the health and social care needs with the patient, and they are provided with immediate support in their own home. Quite often this avoids an admission to hospital.

Our Pathfinder team at NDDH liaises with the wards to organise timely and safe discharges for patients who require ongoing care or support after leaving hospital. As members of the local health and social care teams, the Pathfinder and onward care teams develop and arrange any care packages that are required to ensure the patient can leave hospital, with the right support to live independently at home.

In 2016, we launched Devon Cares. We are the prime provider of domiciliary care services across northern and mid Devon and work in partnership with our local social care providers to arrange for people to receive social care at home. This made us the first NHS Trust to enter the domiciliary care market, and since taking over this function, the number of people waiting to have their care needs met has significantly reduced.

The Trust has five community hospitals and two resource centres, which provide local hubs of healthcare for their communities and a range of services that are easily accessible to the local population, including minor injuries units and local outpatient and self-referral services, such as sexual health clinic.

North Devon District Hospital (NDDH), Barnstaple

NDDH

In 2018/19, staff at North Devon District Hospital treated 31,332 inpatients, 20,322 day cases, 309,349 outpatients and delivered 1,285 babies. They also saw 47,672 people in our emergency department and 12,055 in our minor injuries units.

The populations of Torridge and North Devon account for 82% of patients to NDDH, with the remaining 18% coming from residents from the Cornish and Somerset borders or tourists to the area.

NDDH provides a 24/7 emergency service and is designated trauma unit operating within a trauma network serving the whole of Devon and Cornwall. This network ensures residents of northern Devon have access to trauma services.

The Trust offers a range of general medical services, including cardio-respiratory, stroke care and gastroenterology. General surgical services include orthopaedics, urology and colorectal specialities. We also run ophthalmology services, using the latest procedures and techniques to treat glaucoma and macular degeneration.

The Trust offers patients a choice of local, specialist services and invites consultants from other neighbouring NHS trusts to hold clinics in the area. We work with Musgrove Park in Taunton on a vascular network and Derriford on a neonatal network. We have worked with the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust (RD&E) for a number of years to deliver various services to our patients. This partnership was formalised in 2018 with the formation of the collaborative agreement between NDHT and the RD&E.

Specialist community services

The Trust is the main provider of specialist community healthcare services across North, East, Mid and South Devon, including podiatry, dentistry and sexual health.

We also run Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC) across Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. We also provide adult and paediatric bladder and bowel care services in these areas.

 

Salaried dental service logo

SARC logo

Devon Sexual Health logo

Last updated: September 24, 2019