Personal information identifies a living individual. Therefore your personal information is anything that can be attributed to you personally, including your name, weight, height, date of birth, health conditions and treatments you receive. So long as you can be identified from it, it is your personal information.
Organisations that use personal information must do so in line with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018. The Act applies to personal information held in both electronic and paper records.
Examples of the personal information that we hold about our patients are:
- Name, address, date of birth, NHS Number and next of kin
- Contact information i.e. telephone number(s), email address
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Religious or other beliefs of a similar nature
- Family, lifestyle and social circumstances
- Contacts we have had with you such as clinic visits
- Details of diagnosis and treatment
- Allergies and physical or mental health conditions