Personal information identifies a living individual. Therefore your personal information is anything that can be attributed to you personally, including your name, date of birth, contact details, relatives, banking details and occupational health records. So long as you can be identified from it, it is your personal information.
Organisations that use personal information must do so in line with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018. The Act applies to personal information held in both electronic and paper records.
Examples of the personal information that we hold about our staff are:
- Name, address, date of birth and next of kin
- Contact information i.e. telephone number(s), email address
- Payroll records such as National Insurance and bank account numbers and pay
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Family, lifestyle and social circumstances
- Details of any occupational health meetings