Cancer patients receiving treatment at Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust have again rated their treatment positively, with an average score of 8.8 out of 10, according to the results of the 2019 National Cancer Patient Experience Survey.
This annual survey looks at how cancer patients feel about the care provided by the NHS with results published by NHS England. In total, 274 patients responded out of a total of 423 patients, a response rate of 65%.
NDHT was pleased to be rated above-average in several areas, including:
- Beforehand, patient had all the information needed about the operation – 100%
- Patient found it very or quite easy to contact their cancer nurse specialist (CNS) – 91%
- Patient thought they were seen as soon as necessary – 88%
- Patient definitely found hospital staff to discuss worries or fears during their outpatient or day case visit – 78%
- Patient given enough information about whether chemotherapy was working in a completely understandable way – 76%.
Other areas in which NDHT scored highly included:
- Patient given the name of a CNS who would support them through their treatment – 92%
- Hospital staff told patient who to contact if worried about condition or treatment after leaving hospital – 91%
- Patient always felt they were treated with respect and dignity while in hospital – 88%
- Patient definitely involved as much as they wanted in decisions about care and treatment – 82%
- General practice staff definitely did everything they could to support patient during treatment – 62%
Most question scores for NDHT were similar or slightly better than those for the previous survey.
There was a marked increase from 2018 to 2019 in the number of patients giving positive feedback on the information received about radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
Suzanne Tracey, NDHT chief executive, said: “I am very pleased to see that once again, the efforts of our staff to deliver high-quality, compassionate care have been recognised in the survey results.
“We will continue to strive to make sure that patients with cancer continue to receive the best possible care with us.”
As a result of COVID-19, NDHT has put a number of measures in place to ensure the safety of patients visiting North Devon District Hospital for treatment. A video walkthrough of the Seamoor Unit is available to view which highlights all the changes made for cancer patients visiting the unit for appointments and treatment – https://youtu.be/eK7Z81YRZC0
Full results of the survey can be accessed via the website www.ncpes.co.uk/current-results/