Whether it is PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) making it difficult to control weight, or weight making PCOS symptoms worse, one thing we know about PCOS is there is a level of insulin resistance in the body. That means some of the things that can be useful in type 2 diabetes can also be useful for those with PCOS. This includes:
- Choosing low glycaemic index foods
- Aiming to get weight into healthy BMI category, any weight loss can help symptoms improve
- Doing regular physical activity
- Taking a folic acid supplement if trying to conceive
- Find more information here
Of course these are just some general recommendations. If you want more personalised advice speak to a healthcare professional and get a referral to come and see one of the dietitians. We are happy to help!