The Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust has announced the options for its public consultation on the future location of community beds in Northern Devon.
The six-week consultation – entitled “Delivering safe and effective care within the budget” – will run from Tuesday 18 August to Tuesday 29 September.
The Trust developed the options following two meetings of a Stakeholder Review Group, where League of Friends members, councillors and other local representatives discussed, scored and weighted a range of criteria.
The options are:
- Two community hospital sites (any two out of Bideford, Holsworthy, Ilfracombe and South Molton)
- One site at North Devon District Hospital (NDDH)
- One site at NDDH and one at a community hospital site
The Trust stipulates that Ilfracombe can only be considered as an option in this consultation if a solution is found which delivers a 16-bedded unit at the Tyrrell Hospital during the 2015/16 financial year.
Dr Alison Diamond, chief executive, said: “We believe we can provide a better model of care for patients, which focuses on maintaining their independence and health by providing care in their own homes. To do this we need to shift our resources away from hospitals and towards patients.
“I would like to thank the stakeholders involved in the Review Group for their invaluable input at the two meetings and since. We have taken their feedback on board and have structured our consultation to keep all options on the table to allow a full debate.
“We have a duty to deliver safe and effective care within our budget and we can only consider options that are viable within the timescales.”
Dr Diamond added: “The agreed options meet our requirements in terms of quality, safety, affordability, sustainability and ability to recruit and retain staff.
“They are also in line with the NEW Devon Clinical Commissioning Group’s long-term strategy to support more and more patients in or close to their own home, which we believe is a better way of caring for people across Northern Devon.
“I would like to encourage as many people as possible to attend one of our public meetings, tell us their preferred option based on the criteria developed with the stakeholder review group and help us make the best decision for the local community.”
At the public meetings, people can drop in, see a presentation and join a round table discussion about the options available and how they were reached.
There will be three identical sessions on each date, starting at 3.30pm, 5pm and 6.30pm:
- Tuesday 18 August – Ilfracombe (The Landmark Theatre, Seafront, Ilfracombe, EX34 9BZ)
- Thursday 20 August – Holsworthy (Holsworthy Memorial Hall, North Road, Holsworthy, EX22 6DJ)
- Tuesday 25 August – South Molton (New Assembly Room, South Molton Town Hall, East Street, South Molton, EX36 3BU)
- Thursday 27 August – Bideford (Stucley Hall, Bideford College, Bideford, EX39 3AR)
Further meetings will be added and there are a number of other ways for people to get involved:
- Complete the online feedback form on the Trust website at northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/consultnorth.
- Download the consultation document on the Trust website at northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/consultnorth and e-mail the enclosed feedback form to email@example.com or post it to Communications Team, Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust, Raleigh Park, Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 4JB.
- Write to Dr Alison Diamond, Chief Executive, Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust, Raleigh Park, Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 4JB.
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call us on 01271 322460.
- Invite us to a meeting, if you’re part of a group or organisation and can’t attend any of the public events. For more information, call Nellie Guttmann on 01271 313971 or e-mail her at email@example.com.