This site
+A+A+A background: Change background to yellow Change background to white
Home > About > North Devon District Hospital (NDDH), Barnstaple

North Devon District Hospital (NDDH), Barnstaple

In 2016/17, staff at Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust treated 28,122 inpatients, 21,804 day cases, 353,650 outpatients and delivered 1,548 babies. They also saw 45,050 people in our accident and emergency department, and 25,413 in our minor injuries units.

The populations of Torridge and North Devon account for 94% of patients to NDDH, with the remaining 6% coming from residents from the Cornish and Somerset borders or tourists to the area.

NDDH provides a 24/7 accident and emergency service. In 2012 it was designated as a trauma unit within a trauma network serving the whole of Devon and Cornwall. This ensures residents of northern Devon have access to trauma services.

The Trust offers a range of general medical services, including cardio-respiratory, stroke care and gastroenterology. General surgical services include orthopaedics, urology and colorectal specialities.

The Trust also runs very successful ophthalmology services, which use the latest procedures and techniques to treat glaucoma and macular degeneration.

The Trust offers patients a choice of local, specialist services and invites consultants from other neighbouring Trusts to hold clinics in the area. We work with Musgrove Park in Taunton on a vascular network, Derriford on a neonatal network and the Royal Devon and Exeter on a cancer network. We also work with the RD&E to deliver ear, nose and throat services.

Our pathfinder team at NDDH liaise with the wards in both acute hospitals to organise timely and safe discharges for patients who require ongoing care or support after leaving hospital. As members of the local health and social care teams, the pathfinder and onward care teams develop and arrange any care packages that are required to ensure the patient can leave hospital, with the right support to live independently at home.